Monday, March 15, 2010

Pumpkin patch

Challenge: Use up 1 28-oz can of pumpkin.
Results:
1) Pumpkin oatmeal muffins. Replaced quick oats with instant apple cinnamon oatmeal lying in the cupboard, replaced half AP flour with whole wheat, mixed raisins and cranberries.


















2) Pumpkin scones.


















3) Pumpkin carob muffins. I've been using them ever since I made chocolate chip cookies with carob chips and nobody could tell the difference. They're healthy and cheaper than semisweet chips!


















4) Ok, I am a pumpkin fanatic but even I can get a little pumpkin'd out. The bf and I didn't really feel like cooking after a late lunch on Oscar night. He made grilled cheese dill sandwiches and instead of the traditional tomato soup pairing, I made tomato pumpkin soup with parsley, chili, and soy milk. It turned out really well, except when the bf tried pureeing the soup and the lid came loose.


















5) Classic pumpkin soup. Back to the basics.


















After all that, I still had pumpkin left. Ended up tossing the rest. I needed a pumpkin break.

Saturday night, we went to Society in Yaletown after seeing the 45-minute wait at Chambar. It seems to be a popular place for a girls' night out as there were several tables of girls dressed to hit the clubs.

FOTD
Face
Coastal Scents HD foundation ST-004
NYX concealer stick in green (redness) and yellow (under eyes)
Shiseido Inoui the Enhancer concealer
MAC blush in Angel
Nars face illuminator in Orgasm (cheekbones)
Evian face spray

Eyes
Prestige browliner in Earth Brown
MAC paint in Untitled
Light pink (browbone) and shimmery purple-brown shade (outer half of eye) from Coastal Scents 28 Neutral palette
Anna Sui eye color in 209 (shimmery lilac on outer half and crease)
Bobbi Brown espresso eye shadow (upper tightline)
Coastal Scents Black gel liner (lower waterline)
Bobbi Brown Mica eye shadow (lower lashline)
Korean falsies from Hong Kong
Majolica Majorca mascara (bottom lashes)

Lips
Maybelline Wet Shine lipstick in Mauvelous







































Lace bodysuit: Silence + Noise; Tank, rosary necklace: F21; Black pencil skirt (not shown), Prada.

We went for the mussels with garlic, shallots and Chardonnay with a side of garlic bread and fries. There wasn't much broth, but I liked the sundried tomatoes. We agreed that Chambar's mussels are still #1 though.


















I was all excited to have dessert, but decided to pass. Our server was so sweet and said "ok, but I'm still going to bring you something". He came back shortly with cotton candy!


















The table of girls next to us ordered the junk food platter, but we were quite intimidated by the size. The music is a little loud and the tables are a little close, but the service is great and the place is bumpin'. I left a little tipsy and very happy to a friend's house for more drinks...

Last week, I went to Daiso to look for a ceramic pot to make Korean stews in, but left with some new nails. I never tried artificial nails, but I haven't had gel nails for years and wanted to make them look pretty since they've been peeling a lot lately despite numerous coats of OPI Nail Envy and Sally Hansen 4-in-1 Complete Treatment. For $2/box, who could resist?


















It took me forever to file the shape just right. I think next time I won't be such a perfectionist. I marveled at how long they were (and how my natural nails will never get that long), then realized it was a pain to do simple tasks. The bf said, "watch them all pop off during yoga".


















The next morning, I woke up and decided to cut and file them to a more practical length. I thought I needed one of those professional electric drills, but they're soft enough to cut with a regular nail clipper. I feel like such a lady when my nails are pretty.







No comments: