Sunday, January 31, 2010

A new winter coat

There's nothing like adding on some extra "layers" during the winter.

I've been going to Chambar often for drinks lately. The beer and cocktail lists are unique and the Veracruz is a must-try. I was never a fan of Caesars until I tried the Veracruz. Chipotle infused tequila, applewood smoked tomato juice...the creation is pure genius.
My love for Belgian beers started with the Kriek (right) a few years ago at this very place.


















Finally went to H-Mart to pick up ingredients for soon dubu (spicy seafood and tofu stew) and ddukbokki (rice cakes in gochujang). Have been drinking matcha lattes all week since then. Tried the pumpkin and black bean rice cakes. Steamed, it's slightly sweetened and very filling!


















Bf and I went to Lonsdale Quay Market one sunny day and had our first-ever beaver tail. We had the Killaloe, which is sugar and lemon on the fried dough. http://www.beavertailsinc.com/ At first, I was disgusted to see the large, flat dough soaking in the hot oil and swore I would not eat it. However, I tried some and the sweet and tangy contrast was quite appetizing. At least I'll never have to wonder what it tastes like when I see it at PNE. We then had a bowl of tomato clam chowder at another vendor because it reminded us of the Pike Place Chowder in Seattle.

We originally went to Seattle on an empty stomach to go to Paseo. Unfortunately, they were going to be closed for most of January. We arrived in downtown Seattle around 3pm and decided to eat at Pike Place Chowder as a former Hong Kong colleague had told me about it before. They were having their afternoon tea menu, where everything is smaller and cheaper. Perfect for sampling! We had the crab cake and crab sandwiches and a bowl of their famous clam chowder. We ended up ordering another bowl of seafood bisque! Lunch wasn't a bust after all.


















Qoola is my favorite froyo joint in Vancouver, but I had to go to Pinkberry. I got the pumpkin spice/tangerine swirl. Yummy, but I think I'm biased towards Qoola!


















Had a late dinner (10:30pm) at Red Lobster. Haven't been to one since LA 2004. I LOVE their cheese biscuits. I didn't want to share...and I stuffed them into the takeout box. I've tried a copycat recipe using Bisquick which turns out similarly.























































Recently I read and am loving the book "The Okinawa Diet Plan". The recipes are so simple, healthy and tasty! I found it informative and a good read. I wanted to buy the book at Chapters but couldn't find it. (I ended up buying "Why Men Love Bitches". )
This salmon miso soup is creamy partly due to milk, and includes two of my favorites - kabocha pumpkin and sweet potatoes, which are a major health food for Okinawans.


















I've been making lots of miso soup with various vegetables. Tip: NEVER boil miso! Dissolve it after heated soup has been taken off the heat.


















I LOVE muffins but hate that most are laden with sugar and fat. This is another recipe from "The Okinawa Diet Plan", sweet potato orange muffins. It's soft, moist and not overly sweet. It includes fresh OJ, almond butter and whole wheat flour.


















After taking home some leftover skordalia (garlic sauce) and tzatziki from Stepho's, I decided to make whole wheat pitas. It took a painstaking 3 hours for 6 pitas (I halved the recipe).



































With all that kabocha, I made sweet n' spicy roasted kabocha in the oven and bf made Vietnamese butter beef. It was so tender!


















My favorite Korean snack that I first ate outside Dongdaemun night market. Rice cakes, fish cakes, cabbage, onions and gochujang. Hard boiled eggs and pork are sometimes added.


















Happy eating!

No comments: